7 Summer Musts Before Senior Year
Yikes! It’s true. I am days away from having another high school senior. It is overwhelming to think that college applications will be due this fall. There are many things to do this summer to get ready for the chaos. If you also have a rising high school senior, make sure to check off this list of 7 summer musts before senior year.
- Narrow down the list of colleges to which to apply and schedule any visits for the summer or early fall.
- Familiarize yourself with the common application.
- For schools that do not accept the common application, find out what application they do accept. The school website is the best source for this information.
- Urge your student (I have enrolled my son in a college essay summer workshop), to begin writing their essay. The fall will be busy and having the essay written and/or having a basic rough draft that can be adapted for any application will be a tremendous stress relief. Common app essay prompts
- Contact teachers for recommendation letters. The most popular teachers can become overwhelmed with requests and may limit how many they write. Provide these teachers with a resume of high school accomplishments and activities to assist them in writing the letter.
- Spend some time reading college information websites. I like college confidential, fastweb, and big future.
[bctt tweet=”7 Summer Musts Before Senior Year” username=”Lauradennis_AEN”]
The next year will be overwhelming and exciting as your student finishes high school and plans for the future. Taking time this summer to prepare for the journey will alleviate stress and lesson the time crunch in the fall. I have created a printable planning list to help you check off these tasks this summer. There is one hanging above my senior's desk because we have the same 7 Summer Musts Before Senior Year to accomplish.
Prepare, plan, dream, and enjoy this summer with your student.
This post was updated on February 16, 2017 and the links were updated for 2017-18 applications. We completed this list and are now busy waiting on college decisions!