PLANNING FOR COLLEGE CHECKLISTS
Get your FREE copy of the Planning for College Checklists - Junior Year, Summer Before Senior Year, Senior Year, FAFSA, CSS-Profile, Scholarships, Dorm Shopping, Packing for the Move, and the Parent Survival Kit for College Drop Off and the Glossary of College Admissions Terms.
Best College Visit Checklist: 30 Must Ask College Visit Questions
College visits are fun. College visits are stressful. College visits run together. Which school said they had a minor in Medical Spanish? Which cafeteria had those awesome cookies? Did the guide say you rush in the fall or spring? Taking notes with a College Visit Checklist during or right after the tours will help keep these details straight and eliminate hours of hunting through college websites for the answers to your questions.
These questions are available in worksheet form as part of the Planning for College Planner.
Or as part of the College Preparation Template and Take Along App.
For a List of Items to Bring on Your College Visits: What to Bring on a College Tour
More College Preparation Resources:
Best College Visit Checklist: Over 30 Must Ask College Visit Questions
Below are over 30 questions for your college visit checklist. Bring them along on your visit and make note of the answers during the tour.
- What is the mode of transportation to the school?
- Travel time?
- Am I ok with the travel time?
- Major and department desired at this school?
- How up-to-date is that department’s facilities?
- What will be the class size for your major classes?
- How academically rigorous is the school?
- Does the school lean a particular way politically or religiously?
- How do I feel about these leanings?
- Greek life and would I participate if active?
- What are the dorms like?
- What is the car policy?
- How will I get around off campus and to travel home?
- When do students move off campus?
- What is off campus housing like?
- Can my family afford this school?
- How much financial aid and scholarships do I need to attend this school?
- Do I like the weather in this area of the country?
- What are the social and recreational activities available at the school?
- Which social and recreational activities interest me most?
- Do I feel comfortable and safe on this campus?
- Do I feel comfortable and safe in the surrounding off campus area?
- What is the dining situation and required meal plan?
- Is there an accessible grocery store?
- What do the students do for fun?
- What is the school spirit like?
- Do the people I see walking around campus look like people I want to hang out with?
- What do I think of the tour guide?
- Final impressions?
- What surprised me about the school, positive and/or negative?
- How does this school compare with what I have dreamed about as my ideal college?
- Do I want to apply?
- On a scale of 1-10, how much do I want to attend this school?
The above are a LOT OF QUESTIONS, but they are the things that will make your college experience the best it can be? Really imagine yourself living on the campus and taking part in the activities and culture of the school. If you are confused about what you want after so many sales pitches, go back to what you have always imagined you wanted college to be and think about if this school fits that image.
Using a College Visit Checklist may seem silly at first, but after about the third tour, when everything is running together in your mind, you will be grateful for the detailed notes. And don’t forget to….
For more College Visit information and questions check out Big Future’s List.