A YEAR OF CARE PACKAGE PRINTABLES
All of the supply lists, box decorations, and item tags to make Care Packages for Halloween, 2 Different December Finals, Super Bowl, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Spring Finals. Over 50 of my most popular downloads all together in one place and it's TOTALLY FREE for members of the Almost Empty Nest Community.
The Year of Care Package Printables is part of the Almost Empty Nest Printables Library. Gain access by becoming an Almost Empty Nest Member. If you prefer not to be a member, you may purchase the printables through the same link below.
New Apartment Checklist
It's time to move out of the dorm and get an apartment!!! I have compiled a complete New Apartment Checklist to assist you as you navigate the aisles of IKEA, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and order online. And best of all, the list is printable!! I have gone through this twice with my sons – one lived in a college town where the apartments were furnished. The other lives where they are not. We bought his furniture from IKEA, Craig's List listings, Amazon, and the Container Store. Subscribe below to access the New Apartment Checklist.
Also check out:
New Apartment Checklist
This post contains affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission. For more information, see the full disclosure in the foot bar. Thank you for supporting Almost Empty Nest.
Kitchen and Dining
- Dining Table and Chairs and/or Barstools
- Sauce Pan
- Indoor Grill (My sons have used their indoor grills more than any other appliance. It is an easy and quick way to grill chicken breasts, cook hamburgers, make grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.)
- Cookbooks like How to Cook Everything: The Basics
- Mixing Bowls
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Chef's Knife
- Paring Knife
- Cooking Utensil Set
- Can Opener
- Pot Holders or Mits
- Cookie Sheet
- Pizza Pan
- Drinking Glasses
- Microwave (Check to see if the apartment provides one.)
- Paper Towel Holder
- Dish Soap
- Dishwasher Detergent
- Water Bottles
- Travel Mug
- Food Storage
- Trash Can
- Trash Bags
Living Room (Craig's List and Ikea are great sources)
- Coffee Table
- TV Stand
- End Table
Bedroom (Check the size of the bed if the apartment is furnished. Some are twin XL and some are full-size)
- Bucket with cleaners and rags or sponges
- Broom and dustpan
- Shelving unit
- Underbed storage
- Storage Furniture (These Poppin box seats support 275 pounds and can be collapsed when not in use.)
- Drawer organizers
- Stacking drawers (I LOVE these modular drawers that can be configured to meet your exact storage needs.)
- Elfa drawers (These are amazing, come in many sizes, can be customized and will last forever. We have had some of our Elfa units for over 20 years. They will go from your child's dorm room to their first apartment to their first place after graduation and beyond. They are also great for packing in.)
Health and Safety
- Security System (We bought a Simplisafe for our son. It is wireless and can be put anywhere. We also have it monitored.)
- The Best First Aid Kit
- Prescription medications
- Health Insurance card
- Small safe (For jewelry, some prescription drugs, laptops, and other electronics that are easily stolen.)
- Surge protector (Fried electronics are not fun.)
To Make the Apartment Comfortable and Personal
- Throw blanket
- Magnetic dry erase board, markers, and magnets
- Bulletin Board (Minted custom makes them.)
- Speaker or Amazon Echo
- Command Hooks
- Command Picture Hanging Strips
- Candles like these “Homesick Candles” with scents from your home state.
Other Practical items
- Tool kit
- Sewing kit
- Rain jacket
- Gym bag
- Reusable shopping bags (some cities charge customers for shopping bags)
- Weekend bag or duffle
- Bike lock
- Amazon Student Prime for FREE two-day shipping on textbooks and tons of other stuff, deals and promotions exclusively for students, unlimited streaming of movies and tv shows. Sign up for a FREE trial membership.
The first goal of setting up an apartment is to purchase just enough items to make the apartment comfortable and functional, but not more than you need. The New Apartment Checklist. It is available in the Subscriber's Library. Take it with you to the store or use it as you order online.
It can be helpful to have the dimensions of apartment rooms, closets, cabinets, and any furniture provided. If you have this information, take advantage of it, and plan out the room. If not, work with whatever information you have knowing that you can always go to the store or order additional items after you move in.
Best wishes as you and your child take on the adventure of a New Apartment.