New Apartment Checklist
It’s time to move out of the dorm and get an apartment!!! I have compiled a complete New Apartment Checklist to assist you as you navigate the aisles of IKEA, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and order online. And best of all, the list is printable!! I have gone through stocking apartments with my sons and now my daughter will move into her first apartment this fall. They have lived in both furnished and unfurnished apartments. When we needed to furnish the apartments, we bought furniture from IKEA, Craig’s List listings, Amazon, and the Container Store.
The New Apartment Checklist printable is part of the Almost Empty Nest Member’s Library. Sign up below!
Also check out:
New Apartment Checklist
This post contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I will receive (at no additional cost to you) a small commission, which helps pay for this blog. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are some items to consider as you shop and gather items for your apartment. You will not necessarily need everything on this list.
Furniture you may need for your new apartment:
Some apartments will be completely furnished, some partially furnished, and some will not have any furniture all. IKEA and Craig’s List are great places to get reasonably priced furniture.
- Mattress: We have bought 2 of these mattresses. They are easy to ship, a great price, and are very comfortable.
- Desk Chair
- Armoire (if there is not a closet)
- Dining table and chairs and/or barstools
- TV stand
- Coffee table/end tables
- Sauce Pan
- Indoor Grill: My sons have used their indoor grills more than any other appliance. It is an easy and quick way to grill chicken breasts, cook hamburgers, make grilled cheese sandwiches, etc.)
- Airfryer: A great apartment cooking gadget. Great for heating frozen food to crispy perfection. It is also an easy place to cook one chicken breast. We love ours and my daughter wants one for her apartment.
- A Cookbook like How to Cook Everything: The Basics
- Mixing Bowls
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Chef’s Knife
- Paring Knife
- Cooking Utensil Set
- Can Opener
- Pot Holders or Mits
- Cookie Sheet
- Pizza Pan
- Drinking Glasses
- Coffee Maker
- Microwave (Check to see if the apartment provides one.)
- Paper Towel Holder
- Dish Soap
- Dish brush or sponge
- Dishwasher Detergent
- Food Storage
- Trash Can
- Trash Bags
- Streaming device and/or antenna. What is this antenna thing you ask? Back in the dark ages, it was all we had. Now you can use one to watch network television without cable or a paid streaming service.
Ideas from the Container Store
This Turn-It Organizer is also great in a bathroom cabinet. It is a lazy susan, so you can access items easier.
- Bucket with cleaners and rags or sponges
- Broom and dustpan
- Shelving unit
- Underbed storage
- Storage Furniture (These Poppin box seats support 275 pounds and can be collapsed when not in use.)
- Drawer organizers
- Stacking drawers (I LOVE these modular drawers that can be configured to meet your exact storage needs. See 25 Dorm Room Ideas and Shopping Tips for a picture of my daughter’s modular drawer set.)
- Elfa drawers (These are amazing, come in many sizes, can be customized and will last forever. We have had some of our Elfa units for over 20 years. They will go from your child’s dorm room to their first apartment to their first place after graduation and beyond. They are also great for packing in.)
Ideas from the Container Store
Health and Safety
- Security System (We bought a Simplisafe for our son. It is wireless and can be put anywhere. We also have it monitored.)
- The Best First Aid Kit: Read How to Make Your Own Dorm First Aid Kit
- Prescription medications
- Health Insurance card
- Small safe (For jewelry, some prescription drugs, laptops, and other electronics that are easily stolen.)
- Surge protector (Fried electronics are not fun.)
To Make the Apartment Comfortable and Personal
- Throw blanket
- Magnetic dry erase board, markers, and magnets
- Bulletin Board (Minted custom makes them.)
- Speaker or Amazon Echo
- Command Hooks
- Command Picture Hanging Strips
- Candles like these “Homesick Candles” with scents from your home state.
Other Practical items
The first goal of setting up an apartment is to purchase just enough items to make the apartment comfortable and functional, but not more than you need. The New Apartment Checklist. It is available in the Printables Library. Take it with you to the store or use it as you order online.
It can be helpful to have the dimensions of apartment rooms, closets, cabinets, and any furniture provided. If you have this information, take advantage of it, and plan out the room. If not, work with whatever information you have knowing that you can always go to the store or order additional items after you move in.
Best wishes as you and your child take on the adventure of a New Apartment.
Free Printable Apartment Checklist available in the Printables Library.
Sign up Below!
Join the Community
Join the Almost Empty Nest Community and receive FREE ACCESS to the Almost Empty Nest Printables Library. The Printables Library includes every printable on Almost Empty Nest - A Year of Care Package Printables, Gift Tags, College Preparation Checklists, Additional Care Package Printables (Birthday, March Madness, the Super Bowl, additional Halloween and finals), Bible Verse printables and more.
If your prefer not to join, you may purchase the printables HERE.